This is a series of three half day sessions suitable for teachers and teaching assistants in Years 2-9 who have limited or no phonics subject knowledge or who are unsure about how to teach phonics or spelling…
|Course Title||Securing Quality Phonics and Spelling Teaching in Years 2-9|
|Course Tutor||Penny Boardman and Justine Gregory|
|Duration||3 x half days|
|Target Audience||Teachers, teaching assistants and subject leaders|
|Guidance||Essential for NQT/RQT|
|Course Description||This is a series of three half day sessions suitable for teachers and teaching assistants in Years 2-9 who have limited or no phonics subject knowledge or who are unsure about how to teach phonics or spelling.|
Session 1: The development of phonics subject knowledge
Session 2: A ‘phonics first’ approach to reading
Session 3: A ‘phonics first’ approach to spelling
This course would also be useful for subject leaders who wish to implement a whole school approach to phonics and spelling.
N.B. This course is fully aligned with the expectations of National Curriculum 2014 programmes of study for English.
• be supported to develop consistently good and outstanding teaching of spelling and reading using a ‘phonics’ first approach which can be evidenced through pupil outcomes;
• develop their phonics subject knowledge;
• understand how effective assessment facilitates phonics intervention;
• understand how children can be supported to use a ‘phonics first’ approach for reading;
• have an understanding of a spelling progression and how to support the transition from phonics into spelling;
• have an understanding of how spelling can be taught across the curriculum.
|Date/s||3 x half days|
|Time||09:00 – 12:00|
|Cost||Learning Exchange member fee: £225 per delegate|
Non member fee: £250 per delegate