Why is this important?
Division, fractions, decimals, ratio and proportion form a key part of the Key Stage 2 National Curriculum for mathematics with a number of aspects introduced in Key Stage 1. For children to be successful in solving problems in these aspects of mathematics, it is vital that they have secure conceptual understanding. The bar model is one of the visual approaches that will be explored in this course. The models will be used to support the transformation of real life problems into a mathematical form and can bridge the gap between concrete mathematical experiences and abstract representations.
How will it impact?
By accessing this professional development, you will:
- explore how the bar model and other visual models can be used to support pupils to solve mathematical problems involving division, fractions, decimals, ratio and proportion;
- identify common challenges and misconceptions held by children in this aspect of mathematics and the implications for teaching;
- understand the link between fractions and ratio and to see proportion as equal ratios;
- look at manipulatives and teaching approaches that promote conceptual understanding;
- become confident in the expectations as set out in the National Curriculum for Key Stage 1 and Key Stage 2 in division, fractions, decimals, ratio and proportion.
Who is the professional development for?
Target Group(s): Teachers and teaching assistants
What format will it take?
Half day INSET
Learning Exchange member fee: £375 per school
Non-member fee: £500 per school
2 x 2 hour sessions
Learning Exchange member fee: £480 per school
Non-member fee: £680 per school