The Department for Education (DfE) has published a revised version of the Governors’ Handbook. There is a full list of amendments in the Handbook itself as Annex I on p117.
The changes include:
- A more detailed explanation of governors’ duties in relation to setting an appropriate ethos for the school in keeping with fundamental ‘British values’ in light of Trojan Horse inquiries. See NGA’s briefing on the Trojan Horse inquiry. NGA will be discussing the requirement to incorporate ‘British values’ at our regional meetings.
- New section on whistleblowing policy
- New sections on the School Governance (Constitution) (England) Regulations 2012 and School Governance (Federations) (England) Regulations 2012. See the NGA website for more information about reconstitution.
- Updates relating to SEN. See the NGA website for more information about SEN.
- Information relating to universal infant free school meals
- An emphasis on a more skills focussed approach when recruiting governors with the suggestion that prospective governors are interviewed and oral references obtained, NGA has produced guidance on governor recruitment that will be available at the end of this month.