This half day course is designed for teachers, NQTs/RQTs and teaching assistants who are new to or wish to refresh their knowledge on teaching ‘numbers and the number system’…
|Course Title||Developing children’s understanding of numbers and the number system|
|Course Tutor||Lorraine Woollven / Mathematics Team|
|Duration||1 x half day|
|Target Audience||Teachers, teaching assistants and NQTs|
|Course Description||This half day course is designed for teachers, NQTs/RQTs and teaching assistants who are new to or wish to refresh their knowledge on teaching ‘numbers and the number system’.|
Participants will explore how we can use counting in all year groups to develop a sense of number and a secure understanding of place value.
There will be a strong focus on the effective use of models and images to develop secure understanding in these key mathematical concepts.
Outcomes Participants will:
• be supported to develop consistently good and outstanding teaching through enhanced subject knowledge of numbers and the number system;
• understand how numerical skills can be applied across the curriculum;
• be secure in the language and vocabulary associated with counting, numbers and place value; including partitioning into hundreds, tens and ones and the introduction of decimals;
• recognise how counting can promote:
- a sense of order of numbers, their relative size and position;
- learning of number facts and developing of skills needed in calculation.
|Cost||Learning Exchange member fee: £75 per delegate|
Non member fee: £90 per delegate